Monday, October 11, 2010

Chain Link Curtain Rod

I'm taking a break from projects this week, but I promised to show some tutorials for projects I made for Jared's bedroom.  I thought I'd share how we made the curtain rod with chain link.




The first supplies I bought were chain link cut the length I wanted for the rod less the length of the link connectors.  I also bought large screw eyes.  You will need some large washers to cover the holes on the wall too.  I already had these on hand.


I drilled a couple of test holes with a very small drill bit to try to find studs (this old farmhouse does not have standard spacing of studs in the original walls).  When I couldn't find a stud in the corner of the wall the window was on, I drilled into the adjacent corner.  I wanted these curtains to be able to pull completely off the window to let in as much light as possible.




Once I found the stud, I drilled a large pilot hole, then slipped a washer over an eye screw and screwed it into the wall.  Pardon the bits of primer on my fingers...another project.  Primer is really hard to wash off without mineral spirits.  Alas I will never be a hand model!



Next I inserted a link connector into each end of the chain.  I attached one end to the eyescrew I already had in the wall, then stretch it as tight as I could to mark where I wanted the next one.  This is where I realized I had  a problem...a major design flaw.  Once I stretched it tight, there would be no way to get the curtain on and off, without unscrewing one of the eye screws, which I didn't want to do.


Hubby and I put our heads together and devised a plan.  Sometimes we do work well together!  Other times...not so much ;)  Back to Tractor Supply we went and bought two more link connectors, plus a turnbuckle.  I also got a wall anchor set at Walmart with a long enough eyebolt to get through the drywall and hold.


 We cut out enough links in the very middle of the chain link to equal about the length of the turnbuckle with the link connectors attached.  You need bolt cutters to do this, so hopefully you can measure everything out at the store and have them cut you two pieces of chain link the length you need.


Here's a very rough drawing of how it is all set up.  I'd take a picture but it's too long to get a good view of it all in one picture, so you'll just have to suffer my terrible drawing.



Now comes the hard part...drilling a big honking hole in the wall you just painstakingly painted like 4 times!!  It has to be big enough to get the anchor through.  Of course if you are lucky enough to hit studs on both sides, you can skip this step and just install another eye bolt with washer.  I cringed, bit the bullet and did it.  Nothing a little more spackling can't fix right?


Next, insert the wall anchor with the eyebolt attached...be sure you don't just poke the anchor through by itself or you'll lose it in the wall...just sayin.


Because of the size of the hole, I used two washers stacked to cover it.  The larger washer hole was pretty large so I covered it with a smaller washer.


 Now attach all your pieces together as shown in the drawing.  Loosen the ends of your turnbuckle so you can slip the link connector onto your anchor bolt.  Once everything is attached you can slip on your curtains, then tighten up the turnbolt to take up the slack.




And that my friends is how you install a chain link curtain rod!  

I've linked to these awesome parties. Go check them out for tons of ideas!

Todays Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday
Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell
The Shabby Chic Cottage - Transformation Thursdays
House of Hepworth's -Hookin' Up with hoh
Tools are for Women Too
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday  
My Romantic Home - Show and Tell Friday  
Just a Girl - Show and Share Day 
Funky Junk Interiors - Sat Nite Special 
 

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the industrial look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a neat curtain rod for a boy'r room. I'm glad your son loved his room. I'm sure my grandsons would have loved one like that.

    For the primer, if you have any of the orange based hand cleaner in the garage, it might take the primer off. I use it with pretty good results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your son thinks he has one cool mom! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SUCH a great original idea for a boy's bedroom. And a really great tutorial.

    I love the way you write. You just bring even the most trivial details alight with your sparkle.

    Hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic idea for a boys room! Great job- I love it! I thought your drawing was good btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever!! I love it and it is a piece of art within the curtains! Your hands are beautiful! Nothing says I am woman than hands with primer all over them!! :)

    I hope that you are enjoying this beautuful weather and resting from all your hard work!!! I love seeing your links in all the linky parties! I smile everytime I see them! The room really turned out amazing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am so inspired by reading your post..........my son think that is very cool....
    thanks for your inspiration :))....
    M.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK! THat is COOL! Great for a boys room. I've never seen a curtain rod like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chain link curtain rod shown here is wonderful. Have a look at it

    Curtain

    ReplyDelete
  10. once the rose and the stem is pushed through the curtain the support must be put back onto the stem on the opposite side of the curtain all together for the rose to be anchored into put. bamboo shower curtain

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very important that you must ensure the color scheme before decorating your rooms with curtains.bosch orbital sander review

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the point when the shower curtain has dried you can re-balance it in your bathroom and it is prepared for its next cycle of life. It's astounding the distinction a spotless shower curtain will make to you bathroom.AimJerry Chevron Shower Curtains Review

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can find cotton blackout curtains in some nice contemporary styles that are suitable for both boys and girls. There are fancier yet affordable options such as faux silk blackout curtains. roller blinds dubai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those days are long gone as toiletries company around seems to have some sort of curtain out. They have become one of the focal points of the bathroom and can distinctly change the mood of any room.SubZero, Viking Ice Maker Repair in SIMI VALLEY

    ReplyDelete
  15. They don't look excessively cumbersome and they keep most of sprinkles from your shower restricted in the shower region.shower filter for hard water

    ReplyDelete
  16. A do it yourself project will take a little time but will save more money when compared to custom orders or retail purchases. blackout blinds

    ReplyDelete
  17. An article well versed we can say. KEEp it up!. I loved the way you presented every niche related to Windows and Doors. The best curtain and blinds store to purchase from

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment. They make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails